READ BEFORE ORDERING
1. PLACING ORDERS - All orders are filled in the order that they are received. For the quickest response and order confirmation, you need to include your full name (first AND last name) and your home shipping address, as well as a list of all the plates you wish to order. It's best to include the inventory number AND a brief description of the plate (if you can "copy and paste" the photos, that's a timesaver). I also need your CORRECT and ACCURATE email address. Please DON'T just send a list and payment without FIRST getting an official confirmed email from me - this way you're sure to get the plates that you've ordered.
IMPORTANT! The email address from which you send the order is the one I will send the PAYPAL invoice to. If you have a PAYPAL account, with a confirmed address - THIS is the address the item must be sent to, in order to maintain coverage in the case of loss or damage.
NOTE - If you email me an order, then I will pull the plates that are available, and an invoice will follow. Once the order is sent, PLEASE don't keep looking for the plates in question elsewhere. I'm getting a lot of people telling me that "they found the plate somewhere else", after placing an order for the same plate with me. I don't want to have to add a "timewaster's list" on top of my "red flag" list, so use common sense. If you order it, and I have it, it's yours.
PHONE CONTACT: Sorry, I don't provide my phone
number, as I
only have a cell phone for family contact and emergencies.
reading this, you can email. I really don't want to add
costs to my
cell phone service.
2. MAILING TIME- All orders will be filled in the order that they are received. During busy periods (non-plate work, conventions, road trips, shows) orders WILL take extended amounts of time to fill, and turnaround times can and DO stretch into weeks. If this won't work for you, you might consider ordering elsewhere. This is a one man operation, and I only have so much time to devote to this - it's still a hobby for me, not a business.
If you want to order plates for a gift, order WELL in advance if you wish to get them in time. Pushing orders ahead of others is not only unfair, but time consuming. So is answering endless emails inquiring about the status of a particular order. Again - if you can't wait, don't order. If you need plates for a BIRTHDAY GIFT, CHRISTMAS GIFT or by a CERTAIN DATE - allow at least TWO to THREE weeks for the order to process and ship.
When time permits, I may agree to ship something as quickly as possible, to accommodate a buyer's schedule for a special purchase, but I make NO guarantee that the package in question will actually arrive in time. Postal delays, work schedules, and other occurrences can and do factor into all shipping times, and refund guidelines apply to these purchases in the same manner as regular orders. Again - if you need something by a certain date, ORDER EARLY. I will be glad to use the various "next day" and "express" shipping methods, but will also charge an extra fee to cover a special trip to the shipping center, and any other special handling incurred.
OVERSEAS - AIR MAIL - Any packages weighing more than 16 ounces MUST be mailed in person (face to face at a postal counter) due to security concerns in the U.S. - since I work the overnight, I don't get to the actual post office during regular hours on a regular basis, so larger overseas shipments can and will take longer than U.S.destination packages. Shipping to any address outside the US will be billed at actual shipping "plus eight ounces", to cover shipping supplies and labels.
YOUR FULL NAME and POSTAL ADDRESS MUST APPEAR on your order with the payment - not just on the check or money order, not just on the envelope - it must be clearly printed on the order. Orders with missing information will be held up until I can contact you to clear things up.
PAYPAL SHIPPING ADDRESSES - if you pay with Paypal, the
on your invoice IS the address that the package will be sent to.
will not cover loss or damage if a package is sent to an address
the registered /verified/confirmed Paypal address.
3. INVENTORY ACCURACY - All efforts are made to keep the listing accurate and up to date, but as time goes on, the listing does start to show a lot of errors, and on occasion, plates that have been put on hold, will turn up "not available". I don't play favorites when it comes to who gets what plate. If I go to pull an order, and a plate can't be found, a refund or credit will be sent. Please keep this in mind when ordering.
4. HOLDS - I'll hold any plate for ten days (14 days overseas). After that point, the plate will still be "on hold" under your name, but anyone else interested in the plate(s) in question can order them, and the plate hold will transfer to the new buyer. I won't put a plate back on hold under the same email address, but you can send payment at any time after the hold expires. If the plate is still available, it's yours.
DISCOUNT INQUIRIES - You're welcome to write about discounts for group or bulk purchases. In most cases, I'll be happy to offer a discounted price on a quantity of plates. BUT - if you pass on the group at the price offered, and decide to buy only one or two, then this is considered a "new order". If another buyer ordered a plate during the period that you reviewed the discount price, and the timeframe was after your original inquiry, but before you declined the original price, then any plates the second buyer asked about from the original group will be offered to the second buyer first.
Example: Buyer 1 - asks for a price on a run of PA plates 1915-1925. Buyer 2 - orders the 1920 plate from this run. Buyer 1 - declines the price on the 1915-1925 run, and wants to only buy the 1920. At this point, Buyer 2 has first refusal on the 1920 plate.
PLEASE DO NOT ORDER PLATES IF YOU DON'T PLAN ON ACTUALLY FOLLOWING THROUGH WITH THE ORDER. Orders in default will be listed on the main Platestand page, and your name will appear as a deadbeat buyer. No one needs this, so let's get it right the first time, OK? Also - if you see a plate you'd like to have, DON'T just send payment or PayPal the funds without checking availability and putting in a HOLD - it just makes things more confusing, and will greatly delay the shipment. I work with actual paper copies to track orders - if you send money without emailing in a hold, I'll have nothing on paper with which to track the order, and that will slow things down, and at worst, may cost you the plate(s) you wanted.
5. SINGLES versus PAIRS - My listings are fairly simple. If a PAIR of plates is being offered, the listing will show photos of TWO plates, and will describe a "PAIR" or "SET" - all other listings are offering a single plate only.
6. PHOTO/SIZE REQUESTS - Requesting a photo or plate measurements is not the same thing as HOLDING a plate. If you want a better/bigger photo, just request it, and it will be posted as time permits. If someone else puts the plate on hold as soon as the picture goes up, then that person has the right to purchase. If you want a plate, put a hold on it. This will hold the plate for ten days. Generally speaking, all plates offered on my site have large, clear photos - be sure to tap the thumbnail photo to see the larger version.
7. VERIFICATION - Once I get an order, I will print out the order, and will go to my storage area asap. At this point, all plates that were still available will be included in the invoice, which is usually sent in the next day or two. If there is a plate, or plates, not listed on the invoice, check the section of the invoice where it says "PLATES NOT AVAILABLE DUE TO PREVIOUS HOLD/TRADE" - this is where any non-available/sold plates will be indicated.
8. DISCOUNTS - Check the page for the current discounts being offered. Only ONE discount offer can be used per order - discount coupons and e-coupons can not be used in conjunction with bulk discounts. Bulk discounts apply to individual orders only, not accumulative multiple orders. Currently, the discount rate is 5% on orders over $200, and 10% on orders over $500. I have a small list of buyers who automatically receive one of these rates, no matter how much they purchase, but this is a short list comprised of collectors who buy large quanitities on a regular basis.
9. POSTAGE - US SHIPPING: I can ship 1-3 standard sized plates (6 x 12 inch) via Priority Mail for $4.95 (or current Priority Mail rate) - these will ship in a flat rate envelope. Oversize plates, heavy plates, or orders of four or more plates will ship at actual Priority Mail rates, based on your mailing zone. I still offer First Class rate on plates, but only on those paid with Paypal - these packages can still be metered with the "Click n Ship" process - those paid with cash/check will go Priority. Very small items will still be shipped via First Class, but since there's no tracking, risk of loss or damage is assumed by the buyer. Plates will not be shipped without sufficient postage. If you're not sure about what's due, just email me.
10. INSURANCE - Insurance is extra. ALL indemnity in regards to plate loss in shipment/damage will be the responsibility of the buyer, if insurance is not requested and paid for. If a valid claim is made for a refund, the original price plus postage will be refunded - I do not pay for return postage.
11. REGISTERED MAIL - Registered mail is extra, usually between $8.00 and $10.00. ALL indemnity in regards to plate loss in shipment/damage will be the responsibility of the buyer, if insurance is not requested and paid for. If a valid claim is made for a refund, the original price plus postage will be refunded - I do not pay for return postage.
12. CUSTOMS FORMS - I will be happy to list any amount of claimed value on a customs form that the buyer requests. BUT - if you want insurance or registration, the custom amount MUST be accurate. Obviously, no postal service will pay a $200 claim on something that was noted as being worth $5 on a customs form.
LOSS or DAMAGE DISCLAIMER: Unless insurance is purchased, and the customs form is accurately noted as to the insured value - NO refund will be issued - period. If you're worried about something getting lost or damaged, you'll need to pay for insurance. REGISTERED MAIL is not insurance, although it IS a more secure method of mailing.
13. ACCEPTED FORMS OF PAYMENT - Inside the USA - cash, checks, money orders, Paypal. NO credit cards - I believe if you have a paypal account, you can use plastic THROUGH PayPal.
Outside the USA - PAYPAL or Cash. My bank will no longer accept any checks or money orders processed/originating from outside the US - this includes Canada.
CANADA: The following are the ONLY forms of payment I can accept (no exceptions): PAYPAL - US CASH - CANADIAN POSTAL MONEY ORDER (they MUST be Postal money orders) - all other forms of money orders, even in US dollars, will bounce back from my bank.
The following payments will NOT be accepted - direct credit card payments of any type, wires, foreign cash, stamps, bank account transfers not through PayPal, postal vouchers, counter-signed checks, foreign checks, or any paper payment NOT in US dollars or NOT from a US bank - Canadian money orders in US dollars will bounce back from my bank. Canadian Postal Money Orders are fine.
BOUNCED CHECKS - if you send a check, and it bounces, you will be re-billed for the check total, PLUS $15.00 (which is what my bank charges me for a returned check).
14. PAYPAL FEES - Currently, paypal charges me 3% plus a flat additional fee for all payments I receive (4%+ for all non-US payments) - invoices that I send out include a flat 2% fee (flat 3% for overseas) to help offset this cost (usually around half of the total fee). If you don't want to pay this fee, I also accept checks and money orders. Contrary to the propaganda Paypal adds to my invoices, a non-Paypal payment is just as good as Paypal - whatever is easiest for the buyer is fine with me. Keep in mind, though - Paypal is quicker.
15. RETURN/REFUNDS - FULL REFUNDS will be issued for plates, as long as the plates in question have been misgraded, misidentified, or are in any way not what they were advertised. For info on YOM plates, see number (16). Again, check the terminology and grading page (linked below) if you have any questions. I also need to be contacted within 10 days of postmark (US/Canada) or 14 days (overseas) - refunds on plates held for longer periods will not be sent.
NOTE! If I ship to your Paypal provided address, and it's inaccurate or outdated - the BUYER is responsible to cover the cost to re-ship your order to the proper address.
16. YEAR OF MANUFACTURE (YOM) PLATES - I sell license plates for collecting purposes. If you buy a plate (or plates) from me to use as registerable plates on an Antique/Classic vehicle, BE SURE the plate(s) in question meet the guidelines for your state's YOM laws. Some jurisdictions have strict rules governing the use of original old plates on cars, usually including the use of pairs (if originally issued), original paint, proper type, and of course - the plate number HAS to be clear and available. If you find out after you buy that you can't use your plate(s), well - you're out of luck. Check first, buy second. Also - I don't know the various state laws, and I can't tell you if a number is "clear" or not - please check with your state's DMV before ordering.
17. THE RED FLAG LIST - By ordering through my list, you are agreeing to pay for plates that you order. Also - placing an order, and then not paying, and ignoring emails/invoices, gives me the right to list your name and email address on the Red Flag List. If you feel you can't abide by these basic rules, don't order. Names and emails of those on the Red Flag List are provided to other license plate dealers and hobbyist, as a preventive measure.
COMMON COURTESY - I'm making every effort to get all orders filled in the most expedient manner possible. I have no intention of trying to "cheat" anyone, hold up "certain orders", or to misrepresent any plates. Repetitive and/or nasty emails will only result in a quick refund and future barring from the placement of any other orders, as well as inclusion on the Red Flag List - one response to an inquiry on shipping status will be responded to, however any additional or repetetive/multiple emails will be deleted unread.
Please check the grading page if you have questions about condition, and also the terminology page, to help with abbreviations and other license plate terminologies.
I can and DO retain the right to refuse to sell/trade plates to ANYONE, and will return checks when applicable.
Thanks, Drew Steitz, The Platestand